Monday, October 4, 2010

The Reading Flow

   I choose to read to my students the majority of the time... I model the reading process. I read with fluency and with inflection while changing my voice for different characters. I do not want a lull in the story's unraveling. Although I read aloud to my students most of the time, I encourage my students to read as much as they can on their own. I was so thrilled when I saw a student of mine looking up a book on the electronic card catalog. I asked her what she was looking up. She said, " You told us the more we read, the more we will know and want to read, so that's what I'm doing." REALLY??? A student listened to me and followed my advice - I knew at least one out of 100 would get it! I love it when students choose books they want to read- it is about their personal interest and choice- she chose two books dealing with slavery.
   Although I am told to teach the test- the dreaded CRCT- I tragically have witnessed a decline in reading for fun. Gallagher states, "When students read books soley through the lens of test preparation, they miss out on the oportunity to read books through the lens of life preparation. As a result, the imaginative rehearsals are lost, and when that happens, readicide sets in." As I have taught over the past 6 years, I have seen a decline in reading ability. Tests rule, books drool. If I can change just one student's reading habits, then I guess that will have to suffice- not good enough, but at least it gives me a glimmer of hope.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the effect you can have on children and not even know it? I like the way you push against the testing culture. Sometimes a statement can be made one student at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you were able to "speak" to one of your students and you never know.. there may have been more. She was just the one you got to witness. Isn't it interesting that when students read they all get different things out of the book. I was just thinking that because of our book club book. It isn't just a situation we witness from different angles, we all see or witness different things when we read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Eve! I read to my students as well. I always ask if they want me to read if if they want to read. They always say me, which made me think they were just zoning out. However, when I asked why one day, a few students said that I don't stumble over words, and I am not monotone. They stay more interested. Of course your babies give you a "glimmer of hope"! You give the same back to them....only 99 more to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I love light bulb moments. Aren't they the best. They help keep our motivation up. And we need all of that we can get. I struggle with the emphasis on testing too. It's so hard to "do your job" and "do the right thing." Unfortunately its that way with most jobs in some form or fashion. So, I just remind myself that it's the way work goes. We do the best we can and go home to enjoy our family. We've been benchmark teasing our students every nine weeks for the EOCT tests. By the time the real tests get here our kids are going to be so sick of it all. I wish we could find a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tests rule, books drool. Love it. I constantly make the comments that kids should read more but I remember that I did not read as much as a student. I had too many activities and working full time to read anything outside of the classroom. I think that kids today have too many alternatives to a book so that is the problem. I do imagine that if I was hear you start off a book I would become interested in reading the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My students prefer me to read also, but I ask for volunteers first. I have one student who is scared to death to get up in front of the class to do anything, but she set a goal to read at least once in class to build up her confidence. I don't require my students to read a lot outside of class, I'm happy if they read a newspaper article. If we are reading a novel, many times we will listen to the audiobook while following along in the book. I have students asking me about books in the classroom library at least once or twice a week. If I refer to one during a class lesson, 3 or 4 want to borrow it. Many kids don't know what is out there for them to read, other than what is looked at in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete